Sweet Potato Chicken Poppers
Ohhhh, these sweet little poppers are heavenly. They taste like they’re bad for you. BUT THEY’RE NOT! Loaded with yummy ingredients, these nuggets will have your taste buds popping! As a result, they can be used as a meal (you can load up on them!) or as an appetizer with some guac, bbq sauce, mustard, whatever!
- 2 lb ground chicken
- 4 cups raw (not cooked) sweet potato, finely grated (I used a wide cheese grated like this or you can use your food processor)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut flour (I recommend this brand)
- 5 sprigs green onion, chopped fine
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Optional: 1-2 tsp paprika or chili powder (adds a kick!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F, line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil, lightly spray with olive oil or spread coconut oil.
- Take the raw, grated sweet potato and squeeze it with a paper towel or cheesecloth to remove any excess liquid, like you would for a zucchini.
- Then, combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and thoroughly mix.
- After that, begin rolling the mixture into small, slightly flattened poppers about one inch in diameter (you’ll have about 20-22 poppers per pound of meat) and place them on the cooking sheet.
- Finally, place in the oven for 25-28 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- To crisp them up, place under the broiler if desired for 1-2 minutes. I take one pan out, leave one pan in, then switch once it’s crispy enough.
- Remove from the oven when thoroughly cooked through.
- Allow to cool and serve with your favorite sauce, or just eat plain!
Since these poppers are a such a healthy protein, this is a great recipe to freeze for convenience or take to a potluck as a healthy option. Lastly, share how you served yours on Facebook and don’t forget to tag @stateoffitness in your SOF food pics on Instagram!
Click below to learn more about State of Fitness!