1-Arm Military Press Exercise Description
The 1-arm military press exercise is a classic test of strength for the upper-body that has a lot of carryover into other physical activities. It is a great muscle builder, burns fat and provides a platform for learning many strength principles.
1-Arm Military Press Steps
- Clean a kettlebell with a two-handed grip or perform a cheat clean. Press the kettlebell strictly overhead to lockout with one arm. Lower to the chest safely, pause and press again.
- In the rack position (in one hand close to chest and shoulder), the fist must be below the chin level.
- The kettlebell should pause in the rack and top position.
- Press with the knees locked and with no back hyperextension.
- Keep the quads, glutes and midsection tight.
- The torso may lean slightly sideways but the lean may not increase during the press.
- The shoulder stays packed
- Do not hyperextend the wrist, keep it straight.
- Forcefully exhale on the way up
Want to talk about your workout? Need a fitness jumpstart? We can help.