This broccoli salad is super simple, super good and one of my husband’s favorites. My mom makes it quite often and especially when she knows we will be stopping by.
This salad is easy enough to store in the fridge for the week and bring some to work for a side dish or to snack on to tide you over until dinnertime. It’s also great to bring to a party when you know there’s going to be some not-so-healthy food there.
- 3 bunches of broccoli; chop florets and some stalks
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- ½-1 cup of dried cranberries (sweetened with apple juice)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup mayonnaise (see homemade recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Peas, bacon, raisins, other nuts and more can be substituted or added- there are so many options for add-ins!
If want to make your own mayo (you probably won’t need the extra white vinegar above if you make your own):
- One whole egg
- One cup extra light olive oil (do NOT use extra virgin olive oil)
- Big pinch of salt
- TO MAKE: put in a glass container and use an immersion blender to blend it together, about 20 seconds.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients.
- If using regular mayonnaise and vinegar, mix together in a separate bowl and then add to salad.
- If using paleo/homemade mayo, pour in with all ingredients.
- Mix well and refrigerate.