Listen, I keep hearing people talking about the best herbal colon cleanse or the best way to detoxify the body. Often times this involves some kind of fasting and/or herbal supplementation. I guess my question is, why are you doing the detox or cleanse? Is it because you are eating like absolute garbage? Are you not exercising? Or have you thought you were above the necessary seven or eight hours of sleep each night? The truth is, that fasting and colon cleansing are not necessary in order for you to detoxify your body. Fasting is a form of starvation, complete with protein and fat catabolism. Fasting abuse can also result in damage to your heart muscle. Eating a proper diet, drinking plenty of water, exercising regularly, and getting the required amount of rest will naturally detoxify your body.
First of all, let’s begin with a few dont’s.
Don’t eat packaged foods, that way you will avoid sugar, sodium, and other artificial ingredients. Don’t add extra salt to your meals, it will only make you puffy and increase your blood pressure. Don’t eat sugar or consume alcohol, they are toxic to your entire body. Besides you had enough of it over the holidays.
So now let’s move on to what to do.
First, incorporate the following 10 detoxifying foods into your diet:
1. Fruits: Fruits are easy to digest and are high in antioxidants, nutrients, and fiber.
3. Lemons, oranges, and limes: Citrus fruits ad the body in flushing out toxins, as well as jump-starts the digestive tract. Try beginning each day with a warm glass of lemon water.
4. Garlic: Garlic stimulates the liver to produce important detoxification enzymes that will help filter out toxic residues in the digestive system.
5. Broccoli sprouts: The sprouts are actually more effective than the fully-grown vegetable. Broccoli sprouts are extremely high in antioxidant and help stimulate the detoxification enzymes in the digestive tract.
6. Green tea: Packed full of antioxidants, it not only flushes out toxins, but it also contains a special type of antioxidant called catechins, which are known to increase liver function.
7. Mung beans: Mung beans are incredibly easy to digest and absorb toxic residue on the sides of the intestinal walls.
8. Raw vegetables: Onions, artichokes, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and beets help your liver purge toxins.
9. Seeds and nuts: Flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, Siberian cedar nuts, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts are rich in fiber and antioxidants.
10. Omega-3 and monounsaturated fats: Hemp, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, flax meal, fish oil, and cod liver oil will help lubricate the intestinal walls, allowing the toxins to be absorbed by the oil and eliminated by the body.
Be sure to drink plenty of water each day.
Many people are dehydrated without realizing it. If you drink only when you feel thirsty, it is too late. You are already dehydrated. Get in the habit of drinking water every two hours. In addition to flushing out the toxins of the body, you won’t mistake hunger for thirst.
To improve elimination and detoxification of the skin, regular exercise is important to stimulate sweating. Regular exercise is key to maintaining a nontoxic body.
Lastly, nothing beats a good night’s rest.
Lack of sleep can actually sabotage the body’s natural detoxification. It is during sleep that your body releases hormones the aid in the growth healthy cells, healing of tissue, and fighting off of infection. The hormones released with lack of adequate quality sleep act as harmful toxins.
If you want to detoxify and cleanse your body, start by incorporating proper nutrition, hydration, exercise, and sleep. The occasional fast, or herbal cleanse is not what will ultimately maintain a nontoxic body. So clean up your act and stop trying to find a quick fix. Naturally detoxify your body. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel and perform.