Sometimes I really crave some bad food. I want pasta, I want cheesy goodness, I want it all. But I do not want the calories, the horrible reactions that will take place in my body, nor do I want the guilt. So what can I make that will give me satisfaction but still remain healthy enough that my hard work doesn’t go to waste?
I came across a recipe for baked mac and cheese but using quinoa instead of pasta. And I love mac and cheese. I can’t remember the last time I had it because it may cause me to eat an insanely large amount of it. This recipe, on the other hand, is much healthier for you due to the quinoa, soymilk (or almond), and toppings added in. It is very tasty and leftovers are super good too. I like using quinoa because it is very adapting; it can go in many types of dishes and adds an extra something without overpowering the food. My mac and cheese actually came out to be more of a casserole type, but if you just scramble it up it gives the illusion of mac and cheese.
What you’ll need:
- Veggies of your choice (optional)
- 1 ½ c cooked quinoa
- good pinch of salt
- a few grinds of seasoning salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup soy milk or almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling
- Optional- Crushed Red Pepper
- Lightly sauté any veggies you would like in this dish.
- Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked. (About 15 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13×9 inch dish with cooking spray. Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake 30-35 mins.
I added in chopped broccoli, red and green pepper, and chunks of cooked chicken. I used sharp cheddar cheese. Next time I may use a mixture of cheddar, goat, and feta to give it more flavor. I sprinkled on some cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes once it was done to give it a bit more flavor. It was very good with the seasonings; it was a bit bland without them. Enjoy!
Original recipe from http://aroundthetableri.blogspot.com/2012/02/cheesy-quinoa-mac-cheese.html