This salad was inspired by a salad I had from our local butcher. It was so good and so different that I wanted to make my own. The red pepper, beans, and pesto scream Tuscany to me. I could not find a recipe anywhere but used the ingredients off of the container. I gave it my best effort and while, I do believe the store did it better, at least this is homemade.
- 1 cup dry pearled barley
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can cannellini beans
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1-2 stalks diced green onion
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 10 chopped sundried tomatoes +some juice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil as needed
- Cook barley according to instructions. Usually 1:3 ratio of barley to water. Boil then bring to a simmer for about 25-35 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the cans of beans.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients.
- Drizzle in some olive oil, sundried tomato juice, and lemon juice. Taste test to see how much is needed.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.